Sunday, April 24, 2011

Forgotten finishes

Spider web quilt, 44 inches square
I realized the other day that I hadn't posted pictures of these two quilts I finished awhile ago. They had been languishing in the binding stage for a bit behind a couple others.
William Morris I, 68.5 x 74 inches

The William Morris one is on my bed. It's not that big, but the duvet is almost the same color brown as the border so it looks good on top of that. The other day, we were reading in bed, and my husband said, "Have you heard of William Morris?" Ha! (He was reading "The Book of the Dead: Lives of the Justly Famous and the Undeservedly Obscure.")

Looking back in my blog, I see it took over a year from start to finish for the Morris quilt, which was quilted by Maggi Honeyman. I enjoyed making this top and figuring out a different method of piecing it.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Monkey Wrench in my plans

Was doing a bit of cleaning and found this UFO so started working on it again. This was my planned baby quilts for the twins, but it didn't have the right tone for two little boys. It's more an older boy quilt, don't you think?

Above is what I have finished now. Colors are better in this pic. Below is what I started with: a partially pieced section and a bunch of squares, half-square triangles and four patches. What a difference all those quarter-inch seams make!

This is the block I'd planned. It's called monkey wrench, but reminds me of Snail's Trails. The churn dash block is also called monkey wrench, I think. So many names for the same (and different) blocks in quilting.

The blocks, when put together, create alternating dark and light stars. I'd added a row to one edge of my pieced section to complete the stars. Now I'll have to work around that to finish this up. Not sure the size this will end up. I'll have to make some more four patches and half-square triangles. Can't get away from those HSTs!

This is the back of the block. I like the technique of opening the seams where four pieces come together. It helps reduce bulk, and in this block, piecing in the order I did, all the seams are going in the right direction so that they can be butt together easily with the next block. I really like a good pressing plan.