Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Next up?

This might be the next project. It's a UFO from 1999. I remember the year only because this was to be my millennium quilt. My guild at the time exchanged 2 1/2-inch squares so that we could get 2,000 squares for our quilt. I spent hours sorting the squares by color and value and trying to weed out all the duplicates (and squares so poorly cut they couldn't be used).

I have about a third of the blocks I need. And I found my drawings and notes about what I had planned. I need 40 squares across and 50 down to get 2,000, which will require a few rows of squares running down between the blocks and squares running around the outside.

I pieced one more block this week, and realized why this project hadn't gotten far. Kind of boring piecing, and those squares aren't all that square. Makes me wonder how badly I cut the ones I exchanged. At least I can see definite improvement in my sewing skills in the last 13 years! Wonder if I finish this if a quilt historian one day will think it was made by two different quilters.

5 comments:

Carol G said...

This is a really nice design just using 2.5" squares. Hope you keep going.

Mimi said...

Interesting thought - in a way it is going to be made by two different quilters... same person but two different points in quilt life. You are not sounding two very enthused about this quilt.... how about just sewing it up with what you have.... use it as lap quilt or added to it from you present stash... and forgive yourself the millennium idea...or use the squares you have to make 2000 with the squares and to make the rest of the quilt with bigger pieces of fabric.... finished is GREAT....

Pattyskypants said...

I like the arrangement you have created . . . looks really cool! I hope you do keep working on it. xxoo P

Maureen said...

I've had the same experience working on old projects! Whatever you decide to do - big or small - this will be a fun quilt.

Vivian said...

Your plan to use 2000 pieces of fabric to celebrate the millenium was an inspired plan.
Are you a "leaders and enders" sort of person? You could follow Bonnie Hunter's plan to do this boring type of sewing to sew off and onto other projects, rather than just using a scrap of fabric. If you had your squares sitting beside your machine, you could be creating these squares gradually but steadily. Just a thought.
I commend you for pulling out an older project and deciding to do something with it. UFOs can weigh on our mind, and take up valuable shelf space. :)