Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

My entry in Blogger's Quilt Festival

I'm sharing this quilt for Blogger's Quilt Festival because 1) it's finished except for the label, 2) I was able to get a picture of the whole thing between wind gusts yesterday and 3) I had lots of fun putting it together.

The pattern is Girlfriends Galore by Kathy Doughty from Material Obsession's first book.  I had bought a couple yards of Philip Jacob's print "Daffodils and Dogwood" around the same time I bought the Material Obsession book. I was planning on making a different pattern from the book, but these two insisted on meeting. The rest of the fabrics were pulled from my stash. I didn't have enough yardage of any one fabric so I used several fat quarters of similar colors to make up the yardage.

The different piecing sections made the quilt fun to work on. I get bored doing the same thing over and over. With this quilt there was the Lone Star center, a few set-in seams, then a triangle border, some four-patches and some half-square triangles.   

Maggi Honeyman of Texas did the machine quilting on this. I hope that you can see in the picture how great her quilting is. Each section is done differently to complement the piecing. Because I used a solid backing it looks like a whole cloth quilt. That makes it reversible and is why it doesn't have a label. I'm not sure what to do because it should be documented (I regret not putting labels on some of my earlier quilts), but I want to be able to use it with either side showing. Suggestions appreciated.

17 comments:

Linda said...

This is so pretty! I love the green. This is really a special quilt...front and back.

Mimi said...

Love the quilt and that you told us the whole story.

No label.... BUT print this post and put it in a 3 ring binder in a plastic sleeve and tell all your family that there is something important in there and with luck it will travel with the quilt and a hundred years from now it will be well documented ! Oh, perhaps for the dense, state "this document must stay with the quilt" not all people understand the importance of documenting special quilts.

Lois said...

What a lot of work and your color choices work so well together. I love the whole quilt front and back. Great job! Love Lois

colourdujour said...

fantastic work! in regards to the label: consider machine embroidery those details using matching thread, it could mean different colours in top threand/bobbin. you will have to decide which side you want to read it from/which side will be backwards. But I think that would be ok. (or you could hand embroidery the label without going thru to the other side)

I going to be doing the matching thread machine embroidery label on my BQF, but before I quilt it.

RuffHaven said...

Beautiful ! As far as a lable, you could hand embroider so it doesn't show up on the front. Keep it small in a corner and it won't interfere with the design.

Cardygirl said...

Looks great! The quilting is magnificent.

liz said...

I love this quilt and the colour of the backing is my favourite. As for label, I agree with the idea of something on the pattern side of the quilt. Perhaps you could applique your initials and the year in a suitable space, a la the vintage quilts we all admire. Awkward to prevent going to the other side, but possible.

Rene' said...

This is a spectacular quilt...front and back! Your piecing is fabulous, and I love the solid green for the backing with that beautiful custom quilting. It really does look like a whole cloth quilt. Thanks for sharing!

AnnieO said...

I've often wanted to do a medallion style quilt for the reasons you give--it can get boring to just make a bunch of the same blocks! This is really, really gorgeous front and back. Beautiful job! I second the idea of the hand embroidery. You could put your initials, city, and year completed and do it in the same color as the backing or a shade or two darker and it would not detract from the quilt. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story :)

MARIKA said...

Very beautiful duvet work.the pinning very beautiful work

QuiltSue said...

There's a lot of work in that lovely quilt, it must have taken you an a ge to finish it.

Elizabeth said...

That is so gorgeous! I love the different elements, the lone star, the four-patches, and all the pretty colors! The quilting is goreous. For a tag, what if you just did a little loop of fabric tucked into the binding so that it is loose at the top. You could make it as wide as you need to down the length of the binding and it wouldn't intrude too much into the back of the quilt.

xo -El

Claudia said...

It's fabulous!! I have the Material Obsession book and it's great to see how your fabric choices make such a different looking quilt than the one in the book.

Sabine said...

Love the colours, love the pattern - you must be really proud! I really have to get that book. Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

This is a stunning quilt. Great choice of fabrics and colours. This design works so well.
Beautiful work!

Carol said...

Very pretty medallion quilt. You could embroider you name and date along part of the binding.

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a stunning quilt!! The fabrics you've chosen really bring this pattern to life!