Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Next up

The design wall was empty for about five minutes after I finished the Aboriginal top. I had these pieces from Bonnie Hunter's Roll Roll, Cotton Boll! (RRCB) quilt piled up in the sewing room. After I got far enough along in the mystery to realize I was making almost the same block as the Aboriginal top, I stopped working on it. Don't need to add to the UFO tower though so I arranged the pieces I had into something, and this is it.


This plan will use up most of the block pieces. I have to make four more string blocks, which is doable, and trim them down. And I have to figure out whether the remaining pieces -- green squares (on the left) and pink/green/pink units (on the right) -- will work into a border. I liked Bonnie's border, but it doesn't seem to match the scale of this arrangement. Have to think about the border. Suggestions welcome. I have lots of scraps and could be persuaded to piece new units for the border.

Close up of the blocks to be.
Wish I had more than a fat quarter of the pink bird paint by number fabric you see in the detail photo (if you squint). That would have made the perfect border.

5 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Wow your aboriginal one does have the same blocks as RRCB, how weird is that?! I would be trying something different too. I am still stringing along and have all the HST's to do too.

Cardygirl said...

Looks great!

Barb said...

That is one wonderful quilt!

Sujata said...

Wow!!!!
Your quilts are amazing! Your aboriginal quilt is breathtaking!

Maureen said...

Love the colors and the movement you created with the layout of the string blocks. All I can suggest for the border is audition, audition, audition until you find something you like!